Pregnancy can be anything from wonderful, stressful, tiresome, beautiful, painful and everything in between. Each week brings a new stage and sometimes with that a new symptom to deal with. Unlucky for us ladies, these symptoms seem to mostly come in the first trimester when you are trying to keep things ‘hush hush’, so the list below is not only to help you feel good in the first trimester and throughout, but also to help you feel like your normal self until you are ready to share the news with your friends and family.
So here we go, my top list of essential pregnancy items…
- No Wire Bra – Possibly the first essential you will need very early on. For a lot of women including myself, big sore boobs was the the indication that I was pregnant. I switched to a no wire bra as soon as I could and I haven’t looked back. Why do we have underwire anyway? Don’t get me wrong, I still do that dance at the end of the day when I take my bra off after work but this just eases the discomfort.
- Neals Yard Mother Balm (or other stretch mark prevention) – You may as well tell your other half that you are going to be a slippery oily mess for the next 9 months in aid of doing your damn best not to get any dreaded stretch marks. No cream claims that it will ensure you will never get any and of course there isn’t anything wrong with them but if you want to prevent, then douse away!
- Fancy pants soft drinks – Lets be honest here, nothing will replace the crisp, cold, zesty taste of a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc but all I can say is that you may need something more tasty than simple lemonade or diet coke. I did anyway and of course it had to be served in a wine glass. Duh!
- Pyjamas – And lots of them. I have picked sizes that are 2 dress sizes bigger than I wear in normal clothes so they are nice and stretchy and don’t have the dreaded tight elasticated waistband. Im living in them at the moment. If I’m in the house I’m wearing them.
- Decent maternity jeans – I have faffed around with ASOS, Mothercare, New Look and Topshop and can say by far that Topshop have the best fitting ones for me. All of the others seem to just sag at the bottom and aren’t ‘skinny jeans’. Topshop ones also have a bit of elasticity in it so have some give. I prefer the under-the-bump ones as they aren’t as sweaty and hot but they do both styles 🙂
- Bath bombs/bath soak/salts/rubber duck – I have been obsessed with baths over the last few months. We have lived in our house for nearly 4 years and I think I have had more baths in 3 months than I have probably in my lifetime. Of course they cannot be the normal boiling ‘turn me into a red lobster’ temperature that I would like but a relaxing soak in the evening wil;l help any aches and pains and generally just make you feel good. Whats not to love!
- Pregnancy pillow – I didn’t start using mine until around 12-14 weeks as I wasn’t uncomfortable sleeping but now I cant live without one. Its amazing how better you sleep when you have a comfy pillow between you legs and wrapped around you! My husband thinks that I’m getting rid of it after I give birth but little does he know I have already found a cover online to go with our bed sheets 😉
And there you have it! The essentials that have got me through and will see me right to the end of this pregnancy. 20 weeks down, 20 to go 🙂
What are your essentials whilst pregnant? Get in touch 🙂
Thanks for reading,